Monday, October 27, 2014

Are you confused?



Are you confused? or is it just me? Yesterday, I mentioned here that I have been reading up on no sugar, no grains lifestyles. I am interesting not only on the weight loss people accomplish but rather on the alleged health benefits. Reduced inflammation in particular. I follow and read a few blogs who do different versions of this. Some people do not eat sugar, some do not eat grains and legumes, some do not eat starch veggies or dairy. Don't shoot me if I am indeed all confused but aside from a few things these programs have several similarities just as they have lots of differences.
As with everything else you can find one or a hundred sources providing data and claims on how something would be so beneficial for you. Then search some more and  you can also find several debunking many if not all of those claims.This leaves me confused and semi overwhelmed. Some things make complete sense based on my physiology, pathology and pharmacology knowledge. Some things, I am just not sure. However, the more and more I hear about it, the more intrigued and curious I get.
So I filled my reading device with books and have been reading up a storm this past week. Then last night, as I poured over one more chapter I had the following thought. Am I so confused that I will end up setting myself up for failure? If I can't accomplish this switch will it make me just quit it all?
I have for years tried to change my lifestyle ( halfheartedly) and lose my weight by denying myself the things I have always liked.By buying the latest book, pill or gadget that would make this happen. This has always lead me to failure. For once in my life, I have actually been making good progress and although my diet would probably benefit from a change like those proposed in those books. I do not think I am ready to rock my boat.
Some of you may scoff at that and think how wrong I am. That the benefits would be worth it and I would not argue with you. That is very well possible. But, I think this is something that I have in my to do list later in my journey. I think that my progress is still at such an early stage that I don't want to set up myself for failure.
Remember when I tried to challenge myself to drink a set amount of water daily for two weeks? You can read about that here, My biggest failure within that challenge was that the pressure I put on myself and my anxiety over failing made me feel like crap even when I was doing good otherwise. When I told myself that I would intake as much water as I could without obsessing about the amount, I ended up finding that without my internal pressure, I would reach that goal amount more often than not. I think that it stems from the fact that I'm still not strong enough in my journey.That I can be my worst enemy. That self sabotage is still hiding inside of me. I never had any will power.None. A one day streak was my best. I am on a 100 day streak now and its not been easy at all. I have no intention on breaking it.
I have reduced my sugar intake probably around 85% as it is and my carbs to at least half. I am big on protein and vegetables, with them being what I consume the most. I eat fruit and some legumes as well. So although not within any specific program limits, I think I am doing darn good. I am proud of myself for getting this far and looking forward to how much I will be able to accomplish as I keep going.
I have said many times in my blog that we all have to do what works for us. For some following a strict regimen if what works. For others, sticking to an specific program is success. For others doing WW is the key. I have to learn from others, not compare myself to others. My weight loss journey will be different from everyone elses because we are all different.For me, as of now, calorie counting combined with portion control and exercise is what is working. I have also said that in order to be successful, I believe that one must be flexible. I believe I am and will continue to be. Being flexible is being willing and open to learn from others, to make tweaks and adjust your "plan" and even to have enough courage to "rock the boat" at some point. I think for now I am ok with taking a more "conservative" approach to my journey. When the time comes that I feel ready, I'll be radical enough.
So you keep doing you, whatever that entails. We are all in this together although we all come from different paths and travel them in different ways. So after all these words, I leave you with two great thoughts:





8 comments:

  1. Everyone has to find what works for them, and I think doing so can be super simple or super complicated. I really think our bodies communicate what we need, but I also think many of us who struggle with our weight have learned to ignore our bodies or mishear what it's saying.

    I have to say, I'm not really buying into what I'm doing right now. I giving it a go, but I really think I'm doing the wrong thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you are so right. It is a struggle to learn what our body needs and then a whole other monster doing what it needs. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Paleo: no grains, no sugar, little processed foods, no dairy.

    Primal: all of the above, but dairy is okay if you aren't sensitive to it.

    Does that help? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure does Gwen! Thanks for breaking it down and for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Personally, I've never had any real success with any diet that says "No (fill in the blank)"

    Conflicting data is really all about people trying to convince others that their way is the right way. It's a bit of herd mentality that there's safety in numbers; somehow the larger the population of people that all believe in the same thing somehow makes it more true.

    I like that you read, read, read. Keep doing that and decide for yourself which pieces make sense and look for sources of unbiased data (though that's getting harder and harder to find these days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FD, I am a reading nut and when I decide to research something I can make myself a little crazy. You are right about unbiased data, pretty hard to find. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. 100 day streak sounds to me like you are doing something right! I'd say stick with what is working and just make small changes if they make sense to you and then re-evaluate if it makes you feel healthier. Different things work for different people and you've found a plan that is working for you. And it's very important to "know thyself" and you are doing great with that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! What you described is exactly what conclusion I came to. Know thyself indeed! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I always appreciate your time and your comments. Come visit again!