Thursday, April 2, 2015

Spring has Sprung for real now!

Pollen here, pollen there....pollen everywhere!!!

Hey y'all! Hope you are having a great week so far. Spring weather is here and at times it almost feels like summer. I did not miss the heat at all but I love seeing all the greenery and beautiful flowers starting to pop up.

 Yesterday was my Sunday, so I decided that with such lovely weather I needed to hunker down and get the yard looking better. My roomie is out for spring break from work ( the joys of the education system) so we borrowed the truck and headed to the garden center. 

 With our pockets less full but the truck literally filled with dirt and mulch we headed back. I didn't think we would get it all done. We had 40 bags of mulch to work with along with 20 bags of dirt along with flower and other supplies .


 I was so amazed at my energy and stamina. We loaded those puppies in and out of the truck with no help. Then spread them out in the yard before actually starting out work for the day! Unfortunately it was not enough so we will have to finish up sometime next week. 

 We mulched the front yard and then started working on the vegetable garden. Last year I started from seeds and was shocked at how well everything did. This year aside from containers, we set up several raised garden beds. I am Hoping for similar results this year! Here's a pic of a couple of beds during our progress:


We are being mighty ambitious this year. We are hoping to have squash, zucchini, 3 kinds of tomatoes, sweet peppers, jalapenos, cucumber, watermelon, lettuce,onions and spinach. I am also doing an herb garden.

After tending to the garden, I decided to spray paint my old flower pots because I didn't want to invest in new colorful ones. I have to say I was happy with the end result. Here's a sample of them: 

The purple one is cute but a bit too Eastery lol it will be  an Easter looking focal point for our function Sunday but I might have to repaint afterward. I planted a bunch of petunias and marigold. I'm not sure how we ended up with some many pots!

I didn't get to my herb garden because I was finally exhausted from squtting and bending over so much around 6 pm. We started at 10. Not a bad days work! 

I normally wouldn't have been able to do all that and function today haha My thighs are sore today but other than that my energy is the same, I've been up since 4 am , worked a full shift and I ain't no worse for wear! It is so rewarding to be able to see the difference in how much more you can do the healthier you get.

 I have a long way to go but these things sure keep me motivated!! I am looking forward to fresh veggies from the garden later this summer! Added bonus it was quite the workout! Yay for calories burnt! Until next time!!!



5 comments:

  1. So jealous!! I can't wait for our weather to allow for this. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that ... Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes! Got to print that out for dad ... he planted 21 plants last month ... Isn't it amazing how much more we can do with out the excess weight ... it just gets better and better ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job; you burned some serious calories! I think it's always better when you exercise by doing something productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it all looks so lovely! congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant work ...... it all looks so good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I always appreciate your time and your comments. Come visit again!